A little bit

About Us

A traditional family farmhouse in a picturesque country setting near JFK Arboretum, JFK Ancestral Home, Dunbrody Abbey, Tintern Abbey and The National Heritage Park in County Wexford, Ireland, Warren Farm gets its name from Patricia’s family, the Warrens, who have lived at Warren Farm for many generations. The current farmhouse was built in the early 1800’s, with stone outbuildings for use as stables and coach house alongside.

Warrens have owned the farm since about 1860, although family ownership goes back further on the female line, with the name changing through marriage, as has happened again when Patricia’s surname changed from Warren to Knight.

In the past, the farm enterprises have been mixed and varied, according to the needs of the family & wider community at any given time. Crops of barley, wheat and sugar beet and tobacco were grown, and there was grazing for beef cattle, cows and sheep.


Patricia’s grandfather, Samuel G. Warren, bought Piltown Bacon Company from Glascotts for processing and distributing the bacon produced from the piggery on the farm and other producers in the area.  He developed a Sausage factory in a part of the building now known as Doyle’s Cottage, employing up to 22 workers, while the living room of Dairy Cottage was formerly used as a refectory for all the workers on the farm and in the farmyard.  Ever the entrepreneur, Samuel G set up many other business activities in the farmyard, while his sons and farm workers continued the business of farming.  The blacksmith carried out the normal horseshoe duties, but the forge was also a hub for many other enterprises including coach-building, trailer-making and the manufacture of various farm implements such as ladders, sack trucks, wheel-barrows and so on.  The farm buildings near the Forge were called the Workshop, the Paint Shop, the Sawmill, with others called the Weighing House, Slaughterhouse, the Sausage House as well as the more usual farm buildings like the Dairy, the Washhouse and so on.  There was always work available at Warrens – you would be given a paintbrush, a saw, sprong, shovel or work in the house where lots of help was needed too for the large family!


Times change, as has the usage of the farm buildings over the years, and this evolution continued with the development of some of the unused stone buildings into self-contained cottages, a process which began in the 1990s.  The various past uses of Dairy Cottage include corn mill, a dairy, a refectory and possibly even as the original farmhouse some hundreds of years ago.  Doyle’s Cottage, previously known as the Sausage House, got its name from the last blacksmith on the farm, Martin Doyle, who lived upstairs.  Horseshoe Cottage was formerly the stables and livestock buildings.  Coach House previously housed the coaches, horse traps and a piggery, and the former names of Bacon house, Potato house for Granary Cottage indicate its earlier use for bacon curing, potato storage with corn lofts on the upper floors.

Patricia & Roger created the cottage gardens from scratch in 1996/7 in what was the original farmyard, winning 2nd prize in Ireland in the Shamrock Irish National Gardens Competition, in the New Gardens category.

At the moment the farm enterprise is mainly tillage, with some grazing for cattle and sheep, and the farmyard stables and stone outbuildings have been lovingly converted into individual cottages, while preserving most of their original beauty and character.